Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Happy Cinco de Mayo...well one day late. I did not get this posted last night like I anticipated. It has been a crazy week so far involving a 13th birthday, an almost broken toe and a very long wait in the ER!

My dd turned 13 yesterday...acckk! I am not ready to be the parent of a teenager!! She had a birthday party this past weekend and that is where the toe situation came in... The girls were running around and someone stepped down on her foot - OUCH! The good news is that it is a very deep tissue bruise and not broken. She also has a fist-size bruise on the top of her foot.

No onto the 'fun' ER story. On Monday, my little one woke up with a stomach virus (this is the same one that just had surgery 12 days ago). I decided to take him to the dr. because he was not acting normal. I took him in and she sent him to the ER for IV fluids and a chest x-ray b/c he was really dehyrated and had crackles in his chest (he has asthma) and his vitals were 'off'. Well, we got to the Pediatric ER at 11:45 am and sat in the waiting room (with a ton of people wearing masks) until 6:15 pm - yes, almost 7 hours. My peds called that we were on our way and also called throughout the day to try to get us moved up. I was so angry, it took them an hour and a half to triage him. It was the worst experience I have ever had at any hospital. He finally got hooked up to an IV around 7 PM and we finally got home around 10 PM. There is such a panic from the Swine Flu and I understand that the ER staffers are very overwhelmed, but I wish they could have been a little more compassionate. I actually had a few of the triage nurses be really rude to me for asking where I was on the list (after sittng there for 5 hours) and also for asking for ice chips for my son. I was very polite at all times, eventhough I was frustrated and worried about my son. I just did not feel like I deserved that treatment. I am still a little worn out from the whole experience. He is doing fine now, running around and acting totally normal.

I do have to give a special 'Thank You" to my fellow blogger and neighbor, Dee - she made a whole pan of yummy homemade mac and cheese for the rest of my family who was at home during the whole ordeal. She ROCKS! :)

Anywho, onto the card!

This little fashionista Anya reminds me of my daughter, so I thought it would be perfect for her birthday card. I colored her with my copics, sponged the edges with Rose Red and layered on Tempting Turquoise. The DP is from the Magnolia stack from MME. I covered the chipboard number with MME DP, used my craft knife to cut out and then spritzed with Hollyberry Glimmer Mist. I adhered them to a scallop punched circle (SU) and added some Rose Red ribbon. The white trim is from Basic Grey, I think.

Here is the inside of the card:
The flower is a Prima I have had forever! I used a McGill punch to create the word window. The sentiment is from Amy R's Birthday Sentiments set from ATS.

Here are the copics I used:
Sorry for the 'book'! LOL! Have a great day!


Patti J said...

Girl, you have been through it! Having your daughter turn teenager overnight is plenty of trauma without adding bruised body parts, ER visits, and rudeness! I would write a letter to the hospital and be very blunt about the attitudes. Those folks in the ER's should be treating you like royalty - without sickness, they would be jobless! Sheesh - the nerve!!! Hope things get better for you. Belated Happy Birthday to DD, and Great Card!!!

Stacy said...

Wow, I am happy to hear all is well now but what an ordeal!! Your card is so cute!!
To bad the ER staff was so rude, I have had simaliar experiences..not fun.

Dee said...

Absolutely beautiful, Tori! Love the layout and the colors! I'm sure Katie loved your card! I'm glad that your ordeal in the ER is over -- truly an awful experience!

Scrappin Cheryl said...

Wow Tori - what hospital was that? I want to avoid it! So sorry you and little man had to deal with that - I bet he was really miserable! Hope all is well now! Love the card!